Sunday 25 September 2022

Amazing Songs & Other Delights #31 - The Heroin Diaries edition by Raquel Pinheiro @ Yé Yé Radio


The Heroin Diaries is the name of one of Nikki Sixx's (Mötley Crüe's bassist) memoirs. It is also the name of Amazing Songs & Other Delights #31 that airs tomorrow, Monday 26th, 3-4pm (Lisboa/London time) on Yé Yé Radio: https://yeyeradio.com/ (or on the app)

Are you trying to tell us something, Raquel? Shall we be concerned? No, not about myself. The 16 songs on the programme - from James Brown to The Dandy Warhols, though a Warren Zevon classic, Bert Jasch and others - tell it in my place: the trials, struggles, sorrows and losses from heroin addiction that so many friends, acquaintances, neighbours, people I work with, strangers and, of course, musicians and other artists who paid the price for.

When I start reading through my mid/late 80s diaries I was surprised to find so many around me using heroin. Surprised in the sense I had totally forgot about it. Also, by then, and again now, Porto had a serious heroin addiction problem. In recent years I've had a few less than cool encounters with people asking me where to buy heroin and the likes because when you're "strung out on heroin" all you think about is beetlebum, chasing the dragon, brown sugar since Charlie is a cruel mistress. 

All previous shows: www.mixcloud.com/infoyeye/stream/ | /www.mixcloud.com/raquelpinheiro/stream/

[image: The Heroin Diaries graphic novel adapted by Rantz Hoseley and illustrated by Danijel Zezelj and Keiron Dwyer]




No comments:

Post a Comment